Monday 1 October 2012

Nairobi: the 'big-smoke'

I think I have fallen in love with Nairobi. Finishing my volunteering stint in Nanukyi (Northern Kenya) I have come to Nairobi for a few weeks to enjoy the "big smoke"!

I am staying again at the beautiful Wildebeest Eco Camp in the centre of town, a beautiful oasis of tented accommodation on a barb-wired property with a huge garden.

I gather a few of the international guests staying here and head off to the Rugby Seven game!! The All Blacks, the South Africans, many international teams are here and the atmosphere is electric. Nairobi has a very young, urban population. The kids are affluent and fun loving, the stadium just goes off! It was an awesome experience. I meet up with Daniel, a young university educated Nairobian who has also been volunteering for CHAT, and his friends. After the game we head off for 'Nyama Choma' (roasted goat and ugali) and tuskers.
















I am getting to know Nairobi very well, I like it! Population 4 million, far too many travellers are quick to call Kenya’s much vilified capital by its unfortunate nickname: ‘Nai-robbery.’ It is Kenya’s biggest and baddest city, or so the rumour goes. Most visitors dive in and out in the shortest time possible, but it’s easy enough to sidestep the worst of the city’s dangers and, as cities go, this one has plenty going for it: cafĂ© culture and unbridled nightlife and the locals have a wonderful sense of fun and pride.

I experience life as a local, visiting the dentist, government services (to extend my visa), a bit of local shopping and a few of the outlying natural sights... 14-Falls at Thika.